Tuesday, March 4, 2014

Happy Pancake Day!


Today is my first time celebrating Pancake Day, and I must say I was pretty excited to have breakfast this morning (I even cut back on my late night snacking in preparation of a sort of big breakfast, haha!).   Here is my understanding of the story behind Pancake Day, courtesy of Wikipedia and Sorted Food's Cinnamon Swirl Pancakes video: Pancake Day (aka Shrove Tuesday) is the day before Lent begins, and during Lent fatty/rich foods are usually given up. So, this would be the day to take the opportunity to indulge in those fatty/rich foods before having to give them up for Lent, and one traditional way to use up fatty ingredients like butter was to use them to make pancakes!


I just came back from eating at The Breakfast Club with Regan not too long ago, and I can definitely say that my pancake craving is satisfied. This was our second time going to the popular restaurant, but our first time actually sitting down and having a meal. The place had a cool atmosphere, and was vibrantly decorated with an assortment of photos, bills of money, pages from a book, and canvases with funny phrases on them (There was one that read something along the lines of "Always practice safe eating, use a condiment" which made me laugh to myself (Jeremy if you're reading this… number two ahaha)). Here's a picture of the little corner table we were seated at.


I had been wanting to try The Breakfast Club after hearing about it from some YouTubers that I watch (surprise surprise), and just recently I saw one of the channels I subscribe to mention the Pancake Day challenge at The Breakfast Club. The challenge was to eat twelve pancakes in fifteen minutes or less, and if you were successful your pancakes would be free. If not you'd have to pay £17.50 for the meal, but on the bright side the money would go to a charity called Rays of Sunshine, which is similar to the Make a Wish Foundation. 

Regan decided to try the challenge (and unfortunately failed, but she gave it a good try and probably ate about 3/4 of her stack!), but I opted to try the cinnamon swirl maple and pecan pancakes that were special for Pancake day. I managed to finish all four of my pancakes, which were delicious and definitely filling!


Regan getting her "before" picture taken by our waiter as she prepared to take on the challenge

Our yummy breakfast definitely got us in the Pancake Day spirit, and started our day off right (though Regan was a bit disappointed for failing the challenge...but I just kept reminding her that her money would go to a good cause)! I'm still stuffed and it's now been a couple hours since we've eaten…oof! 

Catch up with you all again soon! :)

1 comment: