Tuesday, March 11, 2014

It's the Little Things


Hello all! Just wanted to write a little bit about part of my day (gasp, a current post?!). Today was not hugely eventful, as all I had planned was working on a theatre review and then heading to my art class later in the day. For my art class we visited the Tate Modern, where we looked at modernism in art and saw works from the likes of artists such as Picasso and Dali. It was a typical gallery visit in my art class, and the works that we saw were very interesting. 

But the art seen in my art class is not the subject of this mini post. As Jackie, Regan, and I were walking along Millennium Bridge to make our way to the tube station, suddenly Jackie stopped to seemingly take a picture of the walkway that we were walking along. I was a bit confused as to what she could possibly be taking a picture of, but then I noticed the tiny (about the length of my thumb) colorful spaceship embedded in the grooves of the walkway. I was pleasantly surprised to find that there were quite a few of these little pieces of art scattered along the bridge, and seeing the little spaceship was an unexpected but happy little surprise. 

Continuing our walk along the bridge, we made an effort to look down and notice all of the little doodle-like designs, and every now and then stopped to take pictures (which meant that it seemed like we were randomly crouching on the bridge taking pictures of various parts of the walkway…not looking strange at all hahaha). I'm starting to wish that I had taken more pictures, but here are a couple more little art pieces that I decided to snap pictures of:



On a prior walk along Millennium Bridge at night, the three of us had spotted a small group of people sitting along the walkway with small flashlights and what looked like art supplies. Once we noticed these pieces along the bridge today, we wondered if maybe those people had been making more of these hidden gems. Or maybe they were just admiring them like we had. It'd be cool if they did, but I suppose we'll never know.

Upon doing a little google search, I found that an artist named Ben Wilson was the one responsible for the little art work. According to this article, he blowtorched discarded pieces of gum on the bridge and then painted them…pretty clever and cool if I say so myself! 

Funnily enough this was probably the highlight of my day, which is why I felt motivated to write this post. It's always fun to unexpectedly stumble upon something slightly unusual and out of the ordinary! Next time I walk along the bridge, I think I'll try to take a few more pictures. But for now, it's time for me to get back to writing my review that's due tomorrow…the procrastination will never end! 

'Til next time :)

x Angelli

No comments:

Post a Comment