Tuesday, February 18, 2014

Backtracking #3 (January 22: Exploring Iconic London)


Day 3 began with my orientation talks, but this time we wrapped up orientation business earlier and had more free time to spend ourselves. Regan, Jackie, Leah, Maren, and I decided it would be an optimal time for some sightseeing.



We began at Picadilly Circus, which was pretty cool. I've often seen it described as a mini version of Times Square, and I think that description fits it pretty well. It was around lunch time when we arrived, so we decided to look around here for a place to eat. We ended up at Jamie Oliver's Diner, where I enjoyed some yummy ribs and some chips (hehe). Slightly sad but kinda funny story that happened here: Maren and I went to use the restroom after eating, and when Maren pushed the restroom door we heard a soft thud against the door…turned out that a little girl had been standing right in front of the door. Maren felt so bad about accidentally bumping the little girl with the door, but luckily the little girl was okay and her mom told us not to worry about it. For a bit after that incident happened, Maren became extra careful about entering restrooms, which is the funny part of this story haha.

Once we finished lunch, the group of us chose to walk in a random direction and see what we stumbled upon. As we walked along, we saw some iconic red telephone booths and had to stop to take some pictures.
(Leah, Regan, little ol' me, and Maren)

The next place where we ended up was Trafalgar Square, where we spotted the infamous lions, the blue cock, and the National Gallery. This was also where I got pooped on by a bird…right on the shoulder of my coat (lucky me). 





From Trafalgar Square, we proceeded to walk by the Marble Arch (where Regan tried to subtly take a selfie with a police officer in the background) and approach St. James' Park, which is the oldest of the Royal Parks of London.  






After strolling along the park, we found ourselves at Buckingham Palace. It felt surreal to actually be standing in front of the palace!



(Side note: Some better pictures to follow of the palace, just trying to keep things chronological haha!)

After taking some pictures of the palace, we continued walking around and ended our mini adventure by seeing Big Ben and the London Eye. We were all quite pleased with how many famous and iconic sights we had managed to come across seeing as we had been aimlessly wandering around without a plan. A pretty great Wednesday if I say so myself!


(The pictures I took of Big Ben around dusk are some of my favorites…I just love how the sky looks in the background)

(Just had to include a picture of the yummy hot chocolate I had before we headed home! Haha a perfect end to a great day)

'Til next time! :)

No comments:

Post a Comment